Have you taken down your braids and noticed your edges are gone, the build up is insane, your scalp is dry as hell and/or your hair is breaking so much? Yes, same sis! I think most of us have been there.
The purpose of this post is to share some tips to help keep your hair and scalp very healthy while in braids and protective styles in general.
1. You should cleanse your scalp, deep condition and moisturise your hair before braiding. You want to ensure your scalp is properly cleansed and your hair itself is very well moisturised to prevent breakage.
2. If you have relaxed hair, you should allow sometime between when you relax your hair and install braids. We suggest at least 2 weeks after you relax your hair as straight after a relaxer, your hair can be a bit 'weak' and all the tension of braids can lead to breakage.
3. LEAVE YOUR EDGES ALONE!!! When you are braiding your hair, avoid braiding your edges! Your edges are very delicate and the pressure of the braids can cause them to break.
4. Do not neglect your hair while in braids. You still have to oil your scalp and moisturise your hair. We always recommend light weight products to prevent build up. Oils with nozzle applicators are a great way to get the oil directly to the scalp (including your edges) and spray on leave in conditioners/moisturisers are great ways to moisturise your hair easily.
5. ALWAYS sleep with a satin bonnet or scarf
6. Do not leave your braids in longer than 6-8 weeks. Leaving your braids in too long can be more damaging for your hair and cause breakage.
We hope you find these tips helpful. We have also included some customer faves/best selling products as recommendations in case you need some. Please feel free to drop any tips/recommendations you have in the comments!
Nadia Esi Hair Growth Elixir- 13.99
Leave in conditioner/Moisturiser
Jumbo Satin Bonnet- 4.99